Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bar Hopping, then and now

In the past several of months, the group of friends that I have grown accustomed to hanging out with (whom I sometimes refer to as "The Knights" or the "Kennewick Crew") have all turned 21. 

First it my friend B.J., whose post birthday celebration is best remembered with gallon pitchers and walks around the block.  Then there was Cory's, whose birthday didn't involve much alcohol, but that's just how Cory is.  Next came Dave, whose birthday took the theme "White on White".  Then there was Brandon, a.k.a. Thirsty Pete.

They have experienced the initial joys of going out, spinning the wheel, killing kegs, eating sushi at Raw, and strong mixed drinks from the bartender at Heroes and Legends.

In the midst of these rites of passages, along with the idea that I am turning 25 years old in March (something I am kind of struggling with) I reflect back on my first days of going to the bar.  All I can say is that these guys had much more fun at the bar their first time than I ever did.

On my 21st birthday, I went out with my close friends Jeff and Tom.  We brought along this guy Nate, who had only worked with us for the last few months at McDonalds.  I had also tried to bring my boss Bruce along for the ride, but he declined, then added," You be careful Big Al." 

My first round of drinks and bar encounters came from the Swinging Doors.  Two pitchers of PBR and two games of pool, both of which I got my ass handed to me.

The next few bars we hit were in the downtown area.  Mainly dive bars where the regulars who had the appearance of homeless men and the suave and tact of a seventeen year old whenever a pretty girl was near.

The drinks consisted of glasses of PBR and round after round of Spiderbites. Perhaps the most memorable moment (other than Nate meeting someone from one of the most botched drug deals on the South Hill) was the birthday shot I got at Mootsy's.  It was Wild Turkey.

Although my first days of bar hopping were not the best, I have some "moments", both good and bad at the bar.  Good as in being able to successfully do a  Muff Diver after several drinks on my 23rd birthday.  Bad, as in being abandoned at the Top Hat after some of my friends almost got into a fight (a couple of them went to jail while my friend Brian had a gun pulled on him). 

One thing I have learned is that going to the bar by yourself is no fun, mainly because it made me feel like an outsider.  The only times I ever did was to watch UFC.  A $15 dollar meal, two beers, and free soda vs. paying $45 dollars for a pay per view was nice.  Plus whenever I brought a notebook with me, it kind of sparked people's curiosity. 

In the last six months, I've cut the barhopping for a number of reasons.  The cost of going out, the fact that they don't show UFC anymore, and beer pong have all played a factor. Don't get me wrong, going to the bar is fun if one of three things are happening:

A) It's your birthday, which means you don't have to pay for drinks
B) If there's a band you like that is playing, or a special event going on
C) Football!

As I've gotten older, I've learned that as long as you have good friends with you, it doesn't really matter where you are.  You're still going to have a good time no matter what.

***

Off the Top of Your Head?

Do you prefer going out on the town with friends? 

Or

Do you prefer kicking it at your place or at a friend's?


Links:

The Swinging Doors.  Always a fun place to visit and eat
.
theswingingdoors.com

The Satellite Diner.  One of the best places to eat in town and it's pretty much open all hours
.
satellitediner.com

The Official website of the Golden Globe Award Winning movie: The Hangover
hangovermovie.warnerbros.com

* As always, check out the SFCC Communicator website for the latest updates

* You can reach me by email at sfcc.al.stover@gmail.com

No comments: