Thursday, November 19, 2009

Red, Orange, or Blue

Red, Orange, or Blue.

Those were the choices of jello shots at the Communicator ACP Pacemaker Celebration this last Saturday.

There were more than just Jello Shots. There was also vast quanities of beer and hard alcohol, which were drank thanks due to one of the hosts' skills at drinking games involving cards. In addition to coming to work with a lot of alcohol in my system (much to the delight of my first assistant manager), I came away with the knowledge of two drinking games. Hopefully I'll get to try them out this weekend.

It was relieving to finally celebrate the accomplishments the SFCC Communicator staff had made at the 2009 ACP conference in Austin Texas. The Communicator took home a Pacemaker (which is the collegiate version of a Pulitzer Prize) and 4th place for Best in Show in both the print publication and the Campus In Brief podcast.

But the celebration wasn't just about the Pacemaker and the Best of Show awards. We've had a pretty quarter, despite some hardships in the beginning. In these last two issues, writers have really stepped it up and I am finding myself waiting for the last issue of the quarter, which hits stands today. Not because two of my articles are getting printed, but because the paper itself is putting out some really good content this issue.

I was also celebrating because I had finally found my place at the Communicator. This quarter, two-thirds of my stories have been personal profiles. Really good personal profiles, according to my editors.

My adviser Jason called me a Kingmaker last quarter and he was right. I love interviewing and profiling people for a story, especially if they give me a lot to work with. That's what I enjoyed about writing for sports, the athletes who were out there giving it their best shot. This quarter it was programs and people who had their own stories to tell.

I also got to cover my first live MMA fight card, and while I had to miss the debut of Strikeforce on CBS, the action I saw at the East Central Community Center was about the same. I actually got to see a championship change hands and someone get knocked out cold 15 seconds into the first round.

I also got to experience my first LIVE woman's fight. And it was much more than just biting, scratching, and wrestling in jello. These girls were going at it just as hard as the men.

This quarter I have one more thing to profile. An actor/actress, or who knows maybe the comic book shop...

I know it's not the end of the quarter just yet, but I feel like celebrating. With White on White coming up, I'll be lucky to make it out of the weekend without some kind of trouble.

Check out the SFCC Communicator website: faculty.spokanefalls.edu/Communicator

1 comment:

Madison McCord said...

I agree Al, you really have found your niche this quarter, and it shows.

Just keep on setting a good example for every else like you did this quarter and we will have pleanty more reasons to celebrate with Jello shots.

p.s. the orange ones were the best hands down.